Here are the entries taking part in the first semi final in running order with their bookies odds (to win the semi final) and my prediction.
1. Montenegro: Andrea Demirovic – Just Get Out Of My Life – 14/1 – My ranking 12th
Nice to listen to but somehow doesn’t work in Eurovision for me. The dancing is slightly cringeworthy and the vocals aren’t too strong.
2. Czech Republic: Gipsy.cz – Aven Romale – 150/1 – My ranking 17th
Horrible song but quite fun to watch on stage. It’s only hope is a few eastern bloc votes.
3. Belarus: Petr Elfimov – Eyes That Never Lie – 125/1 – My ranking 10th (QUALIFIER)
A very typical Belarusian entry. This has grown on me and depsite looking like a man battling to put the cover on a duvet the man in a sheet blowing in the wind looks good when the flames are projected on it. I think it’s just enough for this to qualify.
4. Belgium: Copycat – Copycat – 50/1 – My ranking 16th
Ooh this man looks greasy and awful. I don’t like this at all.
5. Sweden: Malena Ernman – La Voix – 6/1 – My ranking 6th (QUALIFIER)
Her bizarre facial expressions may scare off a few viewers and the verses leave a lot to be desired but overall this is an good and very interesting song.
6. Armenia: Inga & Anush – Jan Jan – 10/1 – My ranking 1st (QUALIFIER) WINNER 1st SEMI FINAL
This song has grown on me immensely. I really think this might be the semi final 1 winner and strong contender for a top 5 place in the final.
7. Andorra: Susanne Georgi – Get A Life – 125/1 – My ranking 18th LAST PLACE
She looks like she’s never picked up a guitar before, her smiling looks very fake and it’s just generally awful. They should stop moaning about Spain not voting in semi final 1, they never stood a chance of qualifying anyway.
8. Switzerland: Lovebugs – The Highest Heights – 33/1 – My ranking 15th
A lot of fans really like this and I admit there are moments it sounds a bit like Coldplay but overall it’s very boring. Switzerland haven’t qualified for years, I don’t expect this to do any better.
9. Turkey: Hadise – Düm Tek Tek – 15/8 – My ranking 3rd (QUALIFIER)
I’ve found her rehearsals a bit disappointing vocally but it’s still catchy enough to qualify and qualify well.
10. Israel – Noa & Mira Awad – There Must Be Another Way – 40/1 – My ranking 8th (QUALIFIER)
I absolutely hated this song at first. The harmonies grate at some points in the song but it seems to work very well on stage and I’ve heard a lot of positive comments.
11. Bulgaria – Krassimir Avramov – Illusion – 80/1 – My ranking 13th
Seems quite impressive in the video but performed live this looks like some kind of parody. Unfortunately this is not a joke and I don’t think many people will vote for it.
12. Iceland – Yohanna – Is It True – 14/1 – My ranking 5th (QUALIFIER)
A lovely sweet song. The vocals are probably the strongest in this semi final.
13. FYR Macedonia – Next Time – Neshto Shto Ke Ostan – 100/1 – My ranking 14th
Oh I’d forgotten about this song. Probably best not to try and remember it.
14. Romania – Elena – The Balkan Girls – 40/1 – My ranking 9th
I wouldn’t normally expect a song like this to qualify but Elena brings so much energy to the stage and her vocals are very strong. I think it will qualify (just).
15. Finland: Waldo’s People – Lose Control – 12/1 – My ranking 11th
Good music video but unfortunately doesn’t translate into a good performance. Makes me think too much of Bulgaria’s entry last year which failed to qualify. May be saved by high scores from Sweden and Iceland but I still don’t see it qualifying.
16. Portugal: Flor-de-lis – Todas As Ruas Do Amor – 40/1 – My ranking 7th (QUALIFIER)
This kind of song is not normally my thing but it’s very pleasant. The backdrop is horrendous but I don’t think that will stop people voting for this song in their droves.
17. Malta: Chiara – What If We – 6/1 – My ranking 4th (QUALIFIER)
She sounds like a vocoder at some points. Maybe her vocals are just a little too perfect. Chiara has had two strong placings in the past finals but this is probably her weakest entry yet. I think she’ll qualify strongly based on her place in the running order.
18. Bosnia & Herzegovina: Regina – Bistro Voda – 7/4 FAVOURITE – My ranking 2nd (QUALIFIER)
This is a little gem. Not particularly favoured with the bookies before the dress rehearsals it is now the favourite to win the first semi final. I was close to putting this as my first place tip but I’m going to settle for 2nd place.